The “Oral” Exit Ticket

| 0 comments

AToday I finally went back to trying exit tickets to see if my students had ‘got’ the concept. I am increasingly not a big fan of written homework and am always looking for alternate means to  see if they have the idea that we are trying for. I did this in a year 2 and year 3 class.

Disclaimer!!: Today’s exit tickets were very ‘grammar point’ focused but they can also be ‘student choice’ in content (EG “tell me something that you want to do on the weekend”)

What We Did:

Year 2 – we are working on ‘verb groups’ (a concept in Japanese) – they lined up – I gave them a random activity and they told me what group it fell into

Year 3 – we are working on giving highlights of activities done (eg. Today I have to do things like…and ….). We had played a game where they practiced manipulating meaning. Everything from “I want to…”, “I must….”, “I think I will” – in total I had 8 prompts on the board (in English). For the exit ticket, I gave them “Eating snacks” and “Doing Homework” and then said I would ask them one of the 8 prompts on the board. So a student may have to say “Today I must eat snacks, do homework etc” while the next one may have “I think I’ll eat snacks, do homework etc”…

Why I Like It:

Its relatively fast – my class of 30 was done in 10 minutes or so 
Students line up as they are ready
They will practice and practice while in line and consult with each other to make sure they ‘have it’.
If they don’t get it they ‘step out’ until they are ready – then ‘step in and try again’.
They won’t be doing this at home….

It’s quick and fast and can be used for communicative purposes as well as to drive home a sticky grammar point (review or new). The Oral Exit Ticket is what you want it to be.