Helping Students Understand that “It’s the Journey”

| 0 comments

As a language teacher, I often struggle with kids who need support. Naturally some require support with language acquisition. But there are others who require assistance in learning to ‘learn’. Some are competent but reluctant to contribute. The challenge is therefore to create an atmosphere where the focus is on the ‘journey’ and not on the goal of activity.  I employ several strategies for these students:

Not Finishing but Doing – I often structure interactive activities that are not possible to finish within the time allotted. At first students are very concerned,  “But we didn’t finish!!!”. As we go along in this manner they learn to relax and magic happens. They stop worrying about being done and focus more on what they are being asked to do. They know they won’t finish so they just relax and ‘do’. This does not happen with everything we do – but enough times that they learn it is about the process not the end product.

Communication Responsibility – In my class “I don’t understand” is not a taboo phrase. In fact, students practice various ways to assist and rescue their  partner. They understand that, in many instances, the onus for communication is on both partners. They know various ways to assist someone ‘not getting it’. They are more empathetic speakers – and are relieved of the anxiety of not having a word or phrase at their fingertips.

Don’t fear the error –  Students learn through interpersonal action, and evaluated activities, that overall communication is key. I put in bold font on all of my marking rubrics that errors can occur even at the top level. That’s not to say that they don’t self-correct if they know they have made a mistake. But when we focus on interpersonal activities I find that they are so keen to be involved that the fear of the error is diminished.

It’s the journey – and not the destination – is something many students struggle with….what do you do for them?