A Language Teacher's Journey

Student’s Feedback – My Lessons For Next Year

| 0 comments

This year my focus has been on more meaningful oral activities, and trying to inject tech as well. What were the kids making of it? For the first time in a number of years I conducted an end of course survey.  What did I learn?

They know what is key:  Two quotes from my seniors stand out:  “Speaking is the only area that cannot be improved on by oneself and class gave me lots of opportunities to improve.”  and “The varied orals got my mind off worrying about perfection and focussing on communicating effectively.” They get it – language is about communicating ideas, sharing thoughts, using it to do something not doing something to use it. And my focus on meaningful tasks – ones that mirror something in the real world is paying off.

They want to take risks:  We did a lot of interactive orals including a murder mystery, health ad, self-made drama episode, and travel fair. All of them were done with varied levels of support and teacher-imposed structure. The one that wasn’t, a debate on school uniforms, was the runaway favorite for ‘improving my Japanese’. I realize that I need to provide more ‘risky’ opportunities for them – and that they will rise to the level they need to in order to accomplish the task.

Tech is best when it isn’t noticed: I have been working to add more technology both to my teaching and in the choices students are given to produce something. In all of my classes not one student focused on the tech that was used. Great! This means it is being used as it should – as a tool for delivery and perhaps enhancing buy-in, but not the focus itself. I am going to continue to trying to employ new ideas in class – always remembering that there is a place for tech (and its not as the goal of the lesson).

I am excited as I move towards the summer (I’m done June 29) and look forward to next year’s journey already.

Colleen