A Language Teacher's Journey

Technology Use Needs an On-line “Attitude”

| 0 comments

I received lots of feedback on my post on technology – and why I feel it is key to my teaching. Many indicate that they will be dealing with more technology, willingly or not, in their day to day environment.

I think back to how I started and how using technology is not a grand ‘jump into the pool’ but rather a slow wading in, at a safe depth! Perhaps the most important step for me was a shift in attitude in the responsibility that using technology brings.  It is my belief that you enter into a ‘contract’ with your students when you do.

Students – They live in a wired ‘instant access world’. For their part we ask them to also apply that to their professional student life; that  they communicate with me when needed, access video prior to a lesson or check homework when they are away. Sadly for them the days of “I was away, did I miss anything?” are gone. My senior students email when they are absent and come with work done, or printed out, after a day away.   

Educators – For my part we must make that commitment too. That is, we are now part of their on-line world, and as such we have a responsibility to, at least partially, play by their rules. One of these is ‘instant availability’ and I believe that we too must  be available. Not 24-7 but in a post-3pm time frame. Students understand my part of the ‘contract’. That is, that I will update my website as quickly as possible. I will also post key notes and practice opportunities for them. As for ‘contact’ – they know that check my email twice at night – once around 5 and then at 9:30. After that, I’m ‘off-line’.  Many of my colleagues don’t do or refust to do this – but I feel that, again, it models the reciprical relationship that using technology in school requires.

We assume that because students use technology they understand the ‘contract’ that its use requires…as educators we have to model that..

Colleen