A Language Teacher's Journey

Not “Flipped” but perhaps “Over Easy”…..

| 0 comments

There are so many new approaches to be used in the classroom that sometimes it is hard to know how to start using them.  “Flipping” is one of the latest tools that I have been adding to my repertoire albeit in small steps.

Doing not teaching:  As a language teacher we are often teaching the concept then reinforcing it through an activity.  Flipping allows me to get “right down to the activity” in a more timely manner.

Student responsibility: As schools move more towards the concept of personal learning. Flipping requires my students to take that responsibility for their own learning. And you know what – they can do it!

Starting is Easy (relatively): The easiest way is to find the information you are trying to convey on YouTube or Teachertube. It is amazing how much is already out there and, really, why reinvent the wheel.

If you can’t find what you need then you create your own mini-lessons. All that is needed is a way to record your voice/visuals and a YouTube account. I have a graphics tablet that allows me to use my Macbook as a tablet. I use free screencasting software to record (such as Jing). Record and post to Youtube (label and tag it so that it is easy to find such as my “coleesensei”)

There are many out there leading the way. Interested in learning more? Check out vodcasting.ning.com or @bennettscience.

Flip away!! I know I will be….

Colleen